Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Goin' Clubbin'

Throughout my post-graduate education, much of my time spent studying was done near a computer so that I could listen to music through Yahoo! Messenger. Back in those days, there was pretty much one option when it came to dance/techno music, my preferred study music. That station was called the Dance station. Pretty straightforward.

But not no more, sister! There is now a new channel on Yahoo under the dance category: "Gay Club Mix *NEW*". If you didn't know it was new, they put it in the title for you. And just like gay men, it will never be called *OLD* because things don't age, they just get more distinguished (unless you're Anderson Cooper, and you have pretty much milked the distinguished look dry already).

The last three songs played on the *NEW* station were by Deborah Cox, Justin Timberlake, and Madonna. And none of them were really that dance - ee/techno - ee. In fact, they were more top 40 than dance. Suddenly, I am having a mid-blog revelation: I am not the target market for this new station. "Gay Club Mix *NEW*" is really targeted toward all the girl friends of the gay men that actually go to clubs. Or it is at least toned down a bit to make it more attractive to them. I suppose a "Gay Club Mix For Hags" wouldn't have gone over well (although I am sure it's on a sticky note in a recycle bin somewhere in Yahoo central command). Where are my 8 minute long remixes of Celine Dion? Where are my 5 minute intro's and outro's? Where are my ass grabs and anonymous dance floor rub ups?

"Gay Club Mix *NEW*" looked cute in the subtle lighting, but ewww, rejected.

Next weekend on Yahoo: "Gay Club Mix *JADED*"

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's right. sounds like my kind of music. ;)

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out dance.fm

Gabe

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home